THE GABLES Vancouver
- 2017 Ovation Award Winner: Best Character or Heritage Home Renovation
- 2017 Ovation Award Winner: Best Renovation over $3 million
- 2017 Ovation Award Winner: Best Kitchen and Great Room Renovation
- Georgie Award Winner: Best Outdoor Living Space
- CHBA National Award Winner: Whole House Renovation - Over $1 million
We recently completed The Gables, a multimillion dollar renovation/restoration project, located at 2106 Southwest Marine Drive in Vancouver, BC. This home is the largest estate property in Vancouver, with a 10,000 square foot home sitting on 4.25 acres. There is potential and merit in restoring old Vancouver mansions as opposed to demolishing living pieces of Vancouver’s history.
Due to the extensive work required in modernizing this historic estate, the owner decided to use a team approach, relying on Paul Sangha Landscape Architecture, Bluefish Design Studio, and Marino General Contracting to retain the classic elements of the 1920’s architecture while updating the property to a uniquely modern aesthetic.
Some of the construction highlights include:
Seattle Inspiration and an Engineering Masterpiece
- The covered patio is infused with light, as evidenced by walk on skylights inspired by the covered walkways of Seattle, built into the master deck above.
- The overlook extends over the property, showcasing phenomenal views of the private golf course below and Vancouver Island.
Blending Classic with Contemporary
- Marino General Contracting reused the original living room doors from the main house for the front entrance of the groundskeepers building.
- All original fireplaces, doors, hardware, and faceplates were painstakingly restored by artists.
- 3D laser printing allowed MGC to accurately replace feature mouldings and plaster details.
- The Old World charm in the heritage wing was retained by refinishing hardwood floors, oak wainscoting, and the grand staircase.
A Tricky Installation
- Joe Marino was faced with a conundrum: He needed to save the original hardwood flooring in the heritage wing, while adding in floor radiant heating throughout. By installing the heating from the basement ceiling, Marino was able to keep the main storey flooring intact.
A True Smart Home
- Outfitted with state-of-the-art technology, the newly transformed Gables reflects the collaborative efforts of the expert team and insightful owner to demonstrate the value and opportunity in revitalizing Vancouver’s classic mansions.
- Merging beauty with functionality, the golf course and lower patio are situated next to the home’s original pond, where an adjacent stream has been fitted with a filtration system acting as the watering structure for the surrounding greenery.
For the full portfolio, head over to our Houzz account.